Scroll To Top
Arts & Entertainment

Richard Hatch To Go Back to Prison

Celebrity-apprentice_hatchx390

Sorry to interrupt...
But we wanted to take a moment to thank you for reading. Your support makes original LGBTQ+ reporting possible. Help us hold Trump accountable.

Richard Hatch, the winner of the first season of CBS's Survivor, has been ordered back to prison for nine months for failing to pay the taxes on his $1 million prize from that show, reports The Hollywood Reporter.

Hatch, currently appearing on NBC's The Celebrity Apprentice, was released in 2009 after serving more than three years in jail for tax evasion. He was previously ordered to re-file his 2000 and 2001 taxes, but has not done so. Hatch owes an estimated $2 million to the IRS for his winnings, other income, and penalties.

U.S. District Court Judge William Smith said that Hatch, who has maintained his innocence, has not indicated any remorse for his actions. Smith imposed a harsher sentence, adding three months to the six that were recommended by prosecutors. "You can continue to proclaim your innocence," Smith said. "You don't have the option of engaging in this type of game or negotiation with the court. It needs to be a severe punishment. That's the only thing that will deter you in the future."

His sentence will begin Monday.

Recommended Stories for You

The Advocates with Sonia BaghdadyOut / Advocate Magazine - Alan Cumming and Jake Shears

From our Sponsors

Most Popular

Latest Stories